Monday, January 16, 2012

Thalia Learns to Cook: Cupcakes from Scratch!

Recipes and examples of dishes I can now make! Taken from a variety of sources and changed according to my abilities, needs, and dislike of doing dishes.

I recently had a new an interesting experience. I had a craving for cupcakes. OK, that is neither new nor interesting. Rather, it happens all the time and is very typical. No, the new and interesting part was that this craving for cupcakes was accompanied by a desire to make the cupcakes myself. From scratch. Using a recipe I had never used before (which isn't difficult to find since I had never made cupcakes before!)

Since it worked so well the last time, here is my annotated recipe: (Recipe from the book "Cupcakes" by Shelly Kaldunski)

Ingredients:

Cupcakes:
1 1/2 C Flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda (Important! These are two different ingredients!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 C finely grated carrots (about 3 carrots)
1 c sugar
3/4 c vegetable oil
2 large eggs, at room temperature (I took them out, then went shopping for the rest of the ingredients, then they were fine. Not sure what temperature has to do with anything)
1/4 c buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
Candied Carrots are optional. I optioned not to use them. They seem complicated.

Method:

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350. LIne a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners.

Ok, this was pretty easy. Just had to buy the liners. They should have them in the ingredient list.







In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

Easy enough. I used a real whisk. None of this fancy electronic mixing gadget for me. See previous cake post about how I wish I owned a kitchen aid.







In another bowl, whisk together the grated carrots, sugar, oil, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla to combine. Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour mixture into the carrot mixture until completely combine.

Ok, how do you grate a cup and a half of carrot? Well, first, your wonderful husband gets a little over excited and buys WAY TOO MANY carrots. We had 3 different recipes on the week's menu plan that called for carrots. But only 2-3 carrots each. So that's 6-9 carrots (I have a Ph.D!). If I am not incorrect, the bag in the picture has roughly 39 carrots in it (I have a Ph.D!). Too many carrots.






However, regardless of the number of carrots, they must be grated.

So, I start with the set up to the left. Grater, check.
Something to catch the carrots in, check. Let's get going! Well, I grate. And grate. And grate. And after 5 minutes of grating, I have roughly..... 1/4 C of carrot. I need 6 times that amount (I have a Ph.D!). So, I think to myself. How can I get grated carrot? Finely chopped carrot? Small pieces of carrot? And preferably have a machine do it for me? (I take back what I previously said about machines).











CUISINART!

Oh, cuisinart, how I love you. You make quick work of 3 carrots and I end up with more than enough, and it is awesome.














Now I have two bowls of deliciousness, and I combine them with a spatula, and I'm just hoping the consistency is correct, because given that these are my first cupcakes ever, I have no idea what the consistency of the batter is supposed to look like.


Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3rds full.



OK. What is the best way to get the batter from the beautifully combined bowls into the muffin tin? Big measuring spoon? Little measuring spoon? Actual spoon? Ladle? Other type of cooking utensil? I have no idea. I lay them all out in front of me, and not just to get a good picture for the blog.

I think about the consistency of the batter, the size of the muffin tin, my ability to move liquids from one container to another without spilling, and go with the small measuring cup.


It's a good choice. I easily get the batter into the cupcake tin, and then am faced with a little leftover. Not wanting to cause a problem with overfilling, I put the leftovers into a separate container, and put the whole thing into the oven. Now on to the next challenge: FROSTING!








Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients: (Makes 2 c)
12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
6tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1c confectioners' sugar, sifted

Method:
In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in the sugar and mix until thoroughly combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

OK, so as I have mentioned too many times, all I have is a rinky dink hand mixer. I am suspicious that this will not be strong enough to get the frosting going. Happily, I am wrong! The frosting becomes more and more whipped and lighter and fluffier as the time progresses. However, I also proceed to get powdered sugar all over my shirt, pants, floor, cabinets and countertop. This would not have happened with a real mixer, but what can you do?




Use right away, or if the consistency is too soft, refrigerate until the frosting is spreadable, about 15 minutes.


I take the cupcakes out of the oven and test them to make sure they are cooked through. Unlike with my pecan pie a few weeks ago (desserts are difficult!), I seem to have cooked these through. I remove them from the pan and set them to cool for a bit.









So, the next big question is: how much frosting to put on the cupcake itself? And, also, how the heck do you get the frosting on there in the first place? Spoon? Spatula? Fingers?

I try a spatula, with a "glob and spread" technique. Yes, I am very scientific. I put a bunch of frosting in the center of the cupcake and then spread it around until it doesn't look too bad.




Then, because I have a Ph.D, I remember that my mother gave us some candied nuts for Christmas. I think, perhaps these nuts will add deliciousness to the cupcakes... and they do! Look at me, all dessert-fu. Next thing you know, I'll be buying really expensive furniture to support my baking habit. (Ok, not really, but at least I'll bake a bit more?) Delicious!











No comments:

Post a Comment