Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Mom never told me not to do this: Food Storage

These are posts about the simple things in the kitchen that you can do to get off on the right foot. Simple things that I somehow missed growing up and therefore had to learn the hard way.

So, food storage is not the sexiest of topics, this I understand. But, I am beginning to learn that it is actually important.

I recently made a pecan pie. It was delicious, if not a bit undercooked. (Note: if you are going to use a frozen pie crust - Sorry, Ellen- the pie probably needs to cook for a lot longer than the recipe calls for).

I then ate parts of it, and covered it and put it in the fridge. My husband, whose patience continues to astound me, was not amused. He reminded me that you should completely cover food when putting it into the refrigerator or storing it on the counter. Um, in my mind, the pie on the left here is covered. See, no pie sticking out!






Yeah, that's not right. This is right:

See? Complete pie covering. In fact, I was informed, foil is not necessarily the best medium for covering food like this since it is not air tight. It might even be better to use plastic.










Or even, better, plastic containers like so:


I might have begun nesting, because I really got a kick out of these containers and how perfectly they all held our Christmas feast. Look how cute!











Seriously, I am slightly obsessed with cute containers these days. Perhaps this is all that was missing from my life originally- the ability to store things in cute containers. I also recently put stuff from my dresser drawers into their own sub drawers within the dresser and became obsessed with an Ikea shelving unit. Oh hormones, for someone who thought only passingly about the ways in which my home was put together and didn't realize that you can and might think about how to organize your bathroom, you are doing a number on me these days.

Yeah.

OK, so the bottom line is: store your food properly. If not, how will you get to savor and enjoy all the delicious things you have recently learned how to cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment