Friday, July 1, 2011

Mom Never Told Me Not to Do This: Don’t start the recipe until all the ingredients are out.

These are posts about the simple things in the kitchen that you can do to get off on the right foot. Simple things that I somehow missed growing up and therefore had to learn the hard way.

When I get a recipe that calls for several different ingredients, spices, and two pans, I now do the logical thing: I get out all the ingredients, the pans, do a load of dishes so I have a clear sink and clear countertop to work, make sure I have enough spices, and a cutting board and a knife. This is new for me. What I used to do was get the ingredients and tools out, as I needed them, while working.

This caused many problems.

The first was that I would often still be cutting and washing things while the first step of the recipe was burning in the pan. The second was that I would often get ¾ of the way through a recipe only to realize I did not actually own any cumin. I would then make the rest of dish, but the ingredient I left out was invariably a key ingredient and I would end up with something that was not at all tasty. Or too mushy. Or didn’t blend well. As I become a better cook, I get better at improvising. And better at understanding which ingredients are actually key to a recipe and which just add a finishing touch. So, the lack of an ingredient means I don’t necessary have to stop cooking. But, at least now I know about it before the heat is on.


Having enough space to work is also a relatively new revelation. It is rare that a recipe only takes a cutting board’s worth of space, particularly if you’ve got it out ahead of time. A clean sink also makes a world’s difference. Having the ability to rinse something (particularly if you have a clumsy streak and drop it on the floor, ahem), or the ability to put one ingredient aside while you focus on another one is invaluable.

There’s also something quite pleasurable at looking at everything all chopped up and ready to go, all in a nice row, prepped and waiting.


A sense of order and preparedness in this otherwise chaotic and quickly changing world. I guess what I’m saying is that food can change your life! It’s the answer to all your problems! Hallelujah and praise the Kale!

No comments:

Post a Comment