Thursday, June 30, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble. Or, why it's ok to sometimes use a boxed cake mix.

I have a confession. Sometimes I buy a box of cake mix. There. I said it. And I'm not sorry... Ok. I'm a little sorry.

Usually I don't see the point of pre-packaged cake mix because a cake is essentially flour, sugar and eggs and it's more trouble to go buy a box of cake mix than to just throw something together with whatever I happen to have on hand in my kitchen. But sometimes... sometimes I buy a box of cake mix.

And then it sits on my shelf. And it sits there. And I use up all the flour and sugar and eggs making cakes from scratch. And the box of cake mix sits there. And then I start to feel guilty, because inside that cake mix is a delicious dessert just waiting for me to add eggs, oil, and water. And frosting. And I'm standing in its way with my fancy flour and sugar and eggs.

And when that happens, when I become racked with guilt over the poor sad box of cake mix in my pantry, I buy rhubarb.



And I make a rhubarb crumble.



I learned the wonders of the rhubarb crumble when I was about 9 or 10 and a friend of my family, Aunt Shelley, came to visit. During the course of her visit she discovered that we had rhubarb growing in our back yard and made the most delicious summer treat ever. Aunt Shelley was a culinary genius.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was so easy that I, a mere child, could make it! And I've been making it ever since. I wanted to give Aunt Shelley full credit for inventing this simple yet delicious recipe, but my mom informs me that if came from... sigh... the side of a cake box.

Side of said cake box sent to me by my mom. But, as you can see, still modified by Aunt Shelley, culinary genius.

I still think Aunt Shelley is a culinary genius.

So here's the recipe for strawberry-rhubarb crumble, with a few minor changes. I also made it in jars, because, you know I love that. But you can make it in a 9X13 pan if you are a 9X13 kind of person.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
Ingredients: 

4 c cut rhubarb
2-ish cups cut strawberries
1 c sugar
3 oz package strawberry jello
1 c water
1 package white (or yellow) cake mix
1 stick of melted butter


You won't believe this. Just layer them. That's right. Nothing fancy.

Start with the rhubarb and strawberries.


Pile on the sugar. Top with the jello.

Pour the water on top. Sprinkle with the cake mix.

Douse with the butter.

No really. That's it. No mixing. No fancy kitchen equipment. Just throw it all in there.

Then bake at 350 for 45 minutes if you're using a 9X13 pan or 35 minutes if you're using half pint jars like I did. You want it to be golden brown and delicious looking.

See? Delicious.

3 comments:

  1. If you make them in jars how do you know the ratio of dry ingredients with the jello and cake mix ect....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to know the ratios... or is it just like grandma used to do... "a little of this" a "little of that" until the ingredients are used up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's little chemistry involved. Just guesstimate. Divide and conquer.

    ReplyDelete