Thursday, July 7, 2011

ProTips that Actually Work: Reviving Vegetables

Fancy things that you read about or see on TV shows that actually aren’t that hard to do. Or maybe are a bit hard to do, but totally worth it.

Where I learned about it: Mark Bittman? A men’s magazine cooking section? No idea.

I know among the posts about ice cream and chocolate chip cookies (delicious!) this may seem a strange posting, but I continue to be delighted that this actually works!

You know when you buy a leafy green, such as kale, and then you don't use it immeadiately, and thus it languishes in your refridgerator for a few days? Anyone? Hello?

Well, when that happens, you end up with limp greens. Terrible.


These actually aren't that bad, but are certainly limper than when I bought them. Notice the lack of pep. The slightly depressed curl. These leaves need intervention, STAT!

Happily, somewhere along the way I heard, or read (source confusion, ho!) that if you put some greens into a cold water bath for a while, they will pep right up. Something about the cells that have previously lost water now regaining that water through osmosis or something? I don't know, my Ph.D. is in psychology not biology.

Regardless, it works!

Just take a large bowl and fill it with cold water. Then, put in your limp greens.
I also put a few ice cubes on top to cool things down further and weigh down the greens.


It's amazing! After 10-15 minutes, your greens are all pepped up again! Happy about life! Ready to conquer your recipe! (Except for the disastrous dinner I actually used these greens for... but that's another post).



No comments:

Post a Comment