Friday, June 21, 2013

Raspberry Frozen Yogurt

I know. I know. I have a lot of explaining to do. It's been almost a year (!) since I posted anything. I'm the worst. The WORST. In my defense, a lot's happened in the last year! I got a tenure-track job (yay!), I moved 1000 miles away to an enormous kitchen (the rest of the house is pretty big too), and inexplicably I took up running absurd distances.

My dad and I after my first marathon! Hope I'll still be standing after the next one! 
It's those last two points that bring me to today's post -- I've been in my new house for just over a week and have hardly done ANYTHING fun in my truly fantastically cavernous new kitchen. Sadness.
BIG KITCHEN! RED CHAIRS! 
And why's that? Why have I been so bad about baking lately? Running. It's totally running's fault. Not only does it suck up nearly ALL my free time, but it also means I have to be careful about what I eat. Apparently dessert is a "special occasion" food when you're trying to run 30-40 miles a week. Not cool. But it does explain why I'm so excited to celebrate national insurance awareness day next week (claims cupcakes or adjustment apple tart, anyone?).

Tonight I really REALLY wanted to have something fabulous for dessert, but I'm going on a long run super SUPER early tomorrow morning and I know that fabulous desserts the night before a long run are not runner approved. Sigh.

So I googled "dessert recipes for runners". Don't do that. Learn from my mistake. Don't do it. Beans. BEANS. FOR DESSERT. WHY?? Runners eat the worst shit. Do I want bean, bananas (sore subject for this primatologist), or raisins (why? they make you think they're chocolate chips and then destroy all your hopes and dreams)? No. No I don't. I want ice cream. And I want it now.

So, as a compromise, I present you with Raspberry Frozen Yogurt. Add in some protein powder (which I did) and it'll be totally acceptable to eat frozen yogurt for breakfast before hitting the pavement. Which is absolutely what I will be doing at 5:30 tomorrow morning.

Raspberry Frozen Yogurt
3/4 container of Chobani frozen yogurt (about 1lb 10 oz, I used plain but use whatever flavor floats your boat)
6 oz orange juice (3/4 cup)
1 package frozen raspberries
6 scoops of protein powder (if you're so inclined, or enough for 3 servings if you've got a big scoop)

Combine all these things in the bowl of a food processor or blender.

Blend! Food process! Combine! 


 Until it's all pretty and smooth-ish like so.


Toss in the bowl of an ice cream maker (or skip this step and just freeze).


Let it go for 20 minutes until it's all firmed up.


I scooped mine into jars, because, well, I would, wouldn't I? And freeze!


Eat. Run. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment