Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ellen Cooks A Vegetable

As much as I hate to admit it, summer is winding down. Soon the students will be haunting campus again, the leaves will be falling, and halloween will be upon us. So, to stave this off as long as possible I went to the farmer's market this weekend. I bought VEGETABLES.

To be fair, the vegetables I bought were either (a) meant to be slathered in butter (corn) or (b) not actually vegetable at all, but rather fruits (tomatoes and nectarines). So my reputation for unhealthy eating was not actually threatened too much by this rash act.

En route to the farmers market, at the farmer's market, and on my way home from the farmer's market, I ran into approximately everyone I have ever met. Their advice was universal -- get corn and grill it.

This would be great if I had any idea how to actually use my grill (someone else invariably grills for me since I should not be trusted around fire) and if I hadn't lent my grill to my neighbors.

After the prospect of grilled corn I couldn't quite stomach the idea of microwaving or boiling it, so I looked for an alternative online. I ran across a recipe for broiling corn in the oven. One of the reviews said:

"This is great. You can season it any way you want after you roast it. I am having it tonight. THIS IS WONDERFUL FOR PEOPLE WHO CAN ONLY COOK MEALS THAT ARE SUPER SIMPLE BECAUSE OF DISABILITIES AND STILL WANT HOME COOKED MEALS."

I was sold. While I don't actually have a disability, my understanding of what to do with vegetables may qualify me.

And you know what? It was delicious! SO, without further delay, here is a great recipe for corn on the cob, only slightly adapted from the original.

Broiled Corn on the Cob
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the corn, husk and all, directly on the oven rack.

About 15 minutes in, rotate the corn so the front corn is in the back and vice versa. Also flip it around so what was on the top is now on the bottom.

Bake for another 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven, shuck the corn.

I like to use a pastry brush to brush butter on the corn. This is easy -- melt the butter, then paint that butter on with the brush. Sprinkle with a little sea salt.

Delicious!

2 comments: